- Muneeb Ali and Ryan Shea met at Princeton University’s Computer Science department in 2013 and decided to start a long journey of solving critical problems of today’s internet.
- Went through Y Combinator in summer 2014, and raised a round of seed investment led by Union Square Ventures, with participation from Naval Ravikant, SV Angels, and others.
- Launched a decentralized identity system, one of the first non-financial applications utilizing blockchain technology that allowed users to own an identity without any trusted third party.
- Released initial design of Blockstack and R&D work began on scalable blockchains, peer-to-peer systems, and potential solutions for long-term storage.
- Launched the Blockchain Naming Service (BNS), introduced blockchain virtualization tech, and scaled the team to 4 core contributors.
- Released three peer-reviewed papers being accepted and published by venues like USENIX, The Advanced Computing Systems Association.
- Started meetups for Blockstack’s technology in various cities around the world and the developer community grew to over 1000.
- R&D work on the core infrastructure finished and Blockstack raised a $4 million Series A funding round led by USV, with participation from Lux Capital, Digital Currency Group and others to fuel growth of the developer ecosystem.
- Released the first version of Blockstack Authentication, which allows users to sign in to decentralized applications with one click.
- Publicly published the Blockstack Whitepaper.
- Released the alpha developer platform, including a developer release of the Blockstack Browser and decentralized storage system.
- Held the Blockstack Summit at the Computer Science Museum in Mountain View.
- Announced the Stacks Token and Mining System.
- Launched the Signature Fund for decentralized applications built on Blockstack. Received 150+ submissions in the first week.
- Converted Blockstack Inc to Blockstack Public Beneficiary Corp (PBC) with a mission to enable an open, decentralized internet.
- Launched the Signature Bounty Program with the Encrypted Token Portfolio Bounty.
- Released the Token Whitepaper and token sale details.
- Released the Public Alpha of the Blockstack Browser.
- Conducted a token sale which resulted in ~$50 million total raised, and over 800 accredited investors, qualified purchasers, and institutions participating.
- Announced a $50,000 bounty to Decentralize Communication.
- Released Multiplayer Storage, a major upgrade to the Gaia storage network.
- Held Blockstack Berlin, with Edward Snowden as the keynote speaker.
- Released the Stacks blockchain testnet.
- Announced the $50,000 Universal Wallet Bounty in partnership with ShapeShift.
- Launched App.co, the Universal Store for decentralized applications
- Released the developer Alpha of Blockstack iOS and Android SDKs.
- Released a new mobile-friendly onboarding flow for mobile and desktop apps.
- Launch of the App Mining program to pay app development teams.
- Improvement of authentication & on-boarding for Blockstack apps.
- Security reviews of Stacks blockchain and release of Stacks wallet.
- Decentralizing the World Tour announced with 31 global meetups.
- Launch of developer documentation portal: docs.blockstack.org.
- Launch of the Stacks Blockchain genesis block.
- Release of the updated blockchain paper and start Rust implementation.
- Ability for Stacks voucher holders to redeem vouchers for Stacks.*
- Ability to use Stacks across our SDKs and Blockstack Browser.
- Launch of Gaia as independent project with improved developer resources.
- Addition of social and cross-app data sharing functionality to Gaia.
- Launch of web extensions as an additional form factor for the Blockstack app/browser.
- Launch of iOS and Android apps for Blockstack authentication.
- Initiation of mining on the stacks blockchain and a hardfork to a new consensus algorithm.
- Start first community-powered election for App Reviewers.
- Initiation of the distribution of tokens to all new verified users of Blockstack.*
- Ability to create app-specific economies through app coins.
*Pending legal approval
Last updated: September 18, 2018