- Launch of App Mining registration and voting directly on Stacks blockchain.
- Release of Stacks Wallet V4 with faster, cheaper transactions.
- Increase App Mining STX payouts to a target of $1,000,000 per month.
- Complete Stacks V2 hardfork with new consensus algorithm, simple client verification, higher throughput, smart contracts, and app specific tokens.
- Release of Clarity on mainnet allowing fully-featured smart contracts and in-app financial services.
- Grow to first million users on the Blockstack network (Milestone 2).
- Release of anonymous analytics API to report on app usage, growth, and retention.
- Launch of iOS and Android apps for Blockstack authentication.
- Launch ability to publish apps via Blockstack Naming System vs. DNS.
- Launch of Mining Pilot on Stacks V2 mainnet.
- Alpha release of new Blockstack authenticator with improved UX and in-app transaction signing.
- Host 4th Annual Blockstack Summit 2019, the annual flagship event.
- Increase App Mining STX payouts to a target of $500,000 per month.
- Distribute Stacks tokens to 2019 investors via hardfork.
- Complete security audit on Stacks Blockchain V2.
- Release beta for Clarity smart contract language.
- Raised ~$23M in SEC-qualified token offering and Asian strategic funding round.
- Announced Asian strategic funding round led by Hashkey and SNZ.
- Reached 250 independent apps built on Blockstack.
- Began paying STX to ecosystem developers participating in App Mining.
- Launched Stacks V2 testnet with transaction and smart contract support.
- Announced partnership with Lambda School with the goal of teaching Blockstack to thousands of student developers.
- Released developer preview of Collections, a protocol for cross-app data sharing on Gaia.
- Released Stackit tutorial, covering all aspects of Blockstack app development.
- Opened the first SEC qualified token sale in US history.
- Announced $1M STX/month target for ecosystem developers participating in App Mining.
- Reached 176 independent apps built on Blockstack.
- Announced developer preview of Clarity smart contract language, including SDK, documentation, and tutorials.
- Published the Blockstack Whitepaper 2.0, building on two years of R&D and peer-reviewed research. Available in English, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish.
- Launched first Can’t Be Evil contest hosted with Product Hunt, Lightning Network, DevPost, and Dapp.com.
- Feb App Mining results included 57 user-ready apps.
- TryMyUI added as App Reviewer to App Mining.
- Released prototype virtual machine (VM) for Stacks smart contracting language.
- Released new consensus algorithm for Stacks blockchain v2 (SIP-001).
- Released Radiks which provides data indexing on top of Gaia.
- Launched the Stacks Blockchain v1, distributed tokens, and sent first Stacks transaction.
- Achieved Milestone 1 and unlocked $25M in capital.
- Released new Stacks Explorer and Wallet.
- Published smart contracting language spec as a Stacks Improvement Proposal (SIP-002) and started Rust implementation.
- Released support for custom Gaia hub configuration during user onboarding
- Launched App Mining pilot in December with 38 registered apps.
- Prof. JP Singh joins the Board of Blockstack PBC.
- Released the Stacks wallet and security reviews of the Stacks blockchain.
- Released upgraded authentication & on-boarding for Blockstack apps.
- Held decentralizing the World Tour announced with 31 global meetups.
- Launched of developer documentation portal: docs.blockstack.org.
- Released the Stacks blockchain testnet.
- Announced the $50,000 Universal Wallet Bounty in partnership with ShapeShift.
- Launched App.co, the Universal Store for decentralized applications.
- Released the developer Alpha of Blockstack iOS and Android SDKs.
- Released a new mobile-friendly onboarding flow for mobile and desktop apps.
- Held Blockstack Berlin, with Edward Snowden as the keynote speaker.
- Released Multiplayer Storage, a major upgrade to the Gaia storage network.
- Announced the $1M request for social networks program.
- Deployed Signature fund capital to app development teams.
Exit R&D Phase
- Conducted a token sale which resulted in ~$50 million total raised, and over 800 accredited investors, qualified purchasers, and institutions participating.
- Released the Token Whitepaper and token sale details.
- Released the Public Alpha of the Blockstack Browser.
- Announced a $50,000 bounty to Decentralize Communication.
- Held the Blockstack Summit at the Computer Science Museum in Mountain View.
- Announced the Stacks Token and Mining System.
- Launched the Signature Fund for decentralized applications built on Blockstack. Received 150+ submissions in the first week.
- Converted Blockstack Inc to Blockstack Public Beneficiary Corp (PBC) with a mission to enable an open, decentralized internet.
- Launched the Signature Bounty Program with the Encrypted Token Portfolio Bounty.
- Released the first version of Blockstack Authentication, which allows users to sign in to decentralized applications with one click.
- Publicly published the Blockstack Whitepaper.
- Released the alpha developer platform, including a developer release of the Blockstack Browser and decentralized storage system.
- R&D work on the core infrastructure finished and Blockstack raised a $4 million Series A funding round led by USV, with participation from Lux Capital, Digital Currency Group and others to fuel growth of the developer ecosystem.
- Released initial design of Blockstack and R&D work began on scalable blockchains, peer-to-peer systems, and potential solutions for long-term storage.
- Launched the Blockchain Naming Service (BNS), introduced blockchain virtualization tech, and scaled the team to 4 core contributors.
- Released three peer-reviewed papers being accepted and published by venues like USENIX, The Advanced Computing Systems Association.
- Started meetups for Blockstack’s technology in various cities around the world and the developer community grew to over 1000.
- Muneeb Ali and Ryan Shea met at Princeton University’s Computer Science department in 2013 and decided to start a long journey of solving critical problems of today’s internet.
- Went through Y Combinator in summer 2014, and raised a round of seed investment led by Union Square Ventures, with participation from Naval Ravikant, SV Angel, and others.
- Launched a decentralized identity system, one of the first non-financial applications utilizing blockchain technology that allowed users to own an identity without any trusted third party.
Last updated: October 1, 2019
This webpage contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding Blockstack PBC’s plans for the Stacks token and blockchain. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. Potential risks and uncertainties that could change our actual results include, but are not limited to, risks associated with: the failure of Blockstack to successfully launch the genesis block; technical obstacles in further developing the Stacks blockchain and potential failure of its underlying technology; the failure of Blockstack to successfully launch web extensions; technical obstacles in further developing and launching the iOS and Android apps for Blockstack authentication; the ability to begin the first community-powered election for App Reviewers; risks associated with attacks designed to influence App Reviewers or game their methodologies; and the ability to create and the effectiveness of establishing app-specific economies through app coins. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Blockstack PBC disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.